Warren Robinett – a programmer at Atari – introduced the first widely known Easter egg in the Atari title ‘Adventure’ in 1979. He planted a message in a hidden room crediting himself for the game’s creation. It went unnoticed and was only found after the game was published. By this point it would have caused too many issues to remove so Atari decided to keep it in and thus created the first Easter egg!
Since then we have been blessed with a plethora of Easter eggs ranging from insider jokes to the downright bizarre. Whatever has been hidden it’s clear Easter eggs make the gaming experience even ‘sweeter’
So seeing as Easter is just around the corner, we thought it would be a good time to reminisce and share our five favourite Easter Eggs in games!
5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Chris Houlihan Room
In 1990, Nintendo held a competition to appear in an NES game which was won by Chris Houlihan. Nintendo gave him his own room in A link to the past which is filled to the brim with Rupees!
4. Gears of War 3
In one section of the campaign, if you shoot into several different pipes, a seemingly normal chicken pops out. Then if you shoot at it enough, it’ll transform into a ten-foot tall, golden, fire-breathing chicken assassin!
3. Mega Man X
Street Fighter and Mega Man are two of Capcom’s biggest franchises which were crossed over with this Easter Egg in the first Mega Man X. After jumping through a number of hoops, collecting every upgrade and beating a stage without taking any damage, you’ll find an upgrade that’ll let you pop off the Hadouken just like Ryu!
2. Saints Row 2
Giant Ocean Bunny
After following a rather complex series of instructions and visiting a number of islands you will eventually fall through one. Simply look to the horizon and you’ll see a monstrous purple rabbit arise!
An Actual Easter Egg in Vice City
This Easter Egg is an actual Easter egg so it had to top our list! This isn’t the only one though – the whole GTA series is filled to the brim!
Don’t forget to head to skillsearch.com and find Choccy the Easter Bunny and all 9 eggs hidden across the site.
Here’s how it works:
- Search our website (across Technology and Digital) for the eggs and Choccy, there are 9 eggs in total and one rabbit.
- When you find an egg, click on it and enter your full name and email address. Each egg found is an entry into the draw, so 9 eggs found would equal 9 entries.
- If you find Choccy, simply click on the image and enter your full name and email address. The first person to find Choccy will win the £50 Amazon voucher, but Choccy will remain on the website until 12 pm Tuesday 29th March.
- We will draw the winner on the afternoon of Tuesday 29th of March and announce it across social media and email. The winners will also be email directly at this time.
It’s that simple. So don’t delay, start hunting today!